This article was originally published in Woroni Special Edition 4.5, The Broadsheet. 

Student Assistance Team (SAT)

ANUSAs Student Assistance Team (SAT) Grants saw strong growth in demand within the first half of 2024, replicating increasing cost of living pressures on students. ANUSA offers SAT grants as one of its strategies to combat the increasing cost of living crisis. From 2023 to 2024, Grant programs included the Assistance Grant, Medical Grant, Carers Grant, Accommodation Assistance Program, Grocery Voucher Program, and Transport Voucher Program. 

According to ANUSA’s quarterly SAT reports, there was an over 16 per cent increase in student grant applications at a cost of $14,302, nearly 30 per cent more than in the first quarter of 2024 compared to 2023 (adjusted for inflation rate of 4.2%).  

This increase was partially predicted and saw an extra 20 per cent allocated to SAT Grants in the 2024 budget compared to 2023.

Overall, in the first half of 2024, an additional 74 students accessed the SAT Grants in comparison to the same period of 2023. The largest uptake was seen in the Carers Grant, with 8 times more successful applicants, and the Transport Voucher Program, with an additional 43 successful applicants. This 2.5 percent increase in Transport vouchers can be credited to the program’s suspension in Q1 of 2023 due to the COVID-19 Pandemic.  

Even with the additional 20 per cent allocated to SAT grants for 2024, the program is expected to use all of its allocated funds. The first half of 2024 cost nearly 53 per cent of its total allotted budget, compared to the less than 49 per cent allotted used in the first of 2023. 

ANUSA Treasurer Will Burfoot told Woroni, that all ANUSA services had been in strong demand in 2024, with the current cost of living crisis “adding onto the challenges students already experience” and that students reaching out for assistance “are in increasingly tough positions”.

ANU’s decision to defund the post-graduate union PARSA in 2023, caused major concerns for post-graduate representation and student services. Woroni understands ANUSA SAT grants were opened for postgraduate students on a case-by-case basis early on and full access from the middle of 2023. 

Postgraduate students accounted for 27.2 percent of the total SAT grants received in the first half of the 2024 year, displaying a strong uptake under their new union. 

Will Burfoot added, “We [ANUSA] are seeing strong growth for postgrad coursework and HDR candidate support services. These students are engaging in increasing numbers thanks to outreach events and targeted marketing.”