On Tuesday 30 July, protestors gathered outside of the ANU Democracy Society’s panel event, titled “Conversation: Religious Freedom & Anti-Discrimination Policy,” protesting against the Society platforming panellist Mark Spencer. This protest comes after the recent history of controversial speakers being hosted by the society, including the Society hosting supporter of the White Australia Policy, Professor Andrew Fraser.   

Protestors included representatives of the ANUSA Queer* Department and the Education and Welfare Action Group (EWAG). 

The panellists included, LGBT+ Activist and Lawyer Alastair Lawrie, Charles Sturt University Theologian Johnathon Cole, and Greens Senator David Shoebridge. Shoebridge intended to attend, however he pulled out beforehand.

Spencer, the Director of Public Policy for the Christian Schools of Australia (CSA) was identified by protestors for his history of supporting conversion therapy for minors. 

In August 2020, when the ACT passed the Sexuality and Gender Identity Conversion Practices ACT bill, Spencer stated “the rejection of amendments that would have clearly protected parents, teachers and people of faith across the ACT reinforces concerns about the real purpose of this Bill.” 

He continued, “instead of a Bill addressing coercive or abusive practices which everyone would support we have legislation that could put mums and dads across Canberra in jail.” 

During the ANU event, hosted in the Haydon Allen Lecture theatre, Spencer made similar comments, claiming that the Religious Discrimination Bill is “Coming for the Churches”.

In November 2020, when Dan Andrews’s Victorian Labor Government was considering banning conversion therapy, Spencer was reported saying, “It is outrageous that the Andrews Government would contemplate introducing a law that could criminalise parents, teachers or pastors for encouraging a child to love the body they were born with or teach a faith-based sexuality ethic.”

While the talk was occurring, protestors amassed outside the lecture hall. ANU students stated that the “ANU community stands with Queer people, and will not let any kind of discussion about our rights happen.. without proper consideration.” Students continued the protest with chants of “Fuck you Mark Spencer” and “When Gay-Trans rights are under attack what do we do….stand up fight back.” 

The protestors argued that they reject the “limited, backwards thinking” of the panellists.   

Protestors dissipated not long after the event. 

However, this is not the first time the Democracy Society has come under scrutiny. Earlier this year, the society platformed retired Macquarie University academic and supporter of the White Australia Policy Andrew Fraser. He has made comments justifying the policy, stating that “crime, violence and other social problems” were caused by Black people. A protest was announced in advance of this event, which led to the Society cancelling it entirely. The protest went ahead regardless. 

In 2022, the society also hosted Tasmanian Liberal and monarchist Eric Abetz, known for his conservative views on abortion and LGBTQ+ people. Socialist Alternative organised the protest against this forum.

ANU Democracy Society, ANU Queer* Department and the ANUSA Education and Welfare Action Group were approached by Woroni to comment, however were unable to respond in time.

If you or anyone you know is affected by the content of this piece, please contact one of the support services below:

ANU BIPOC Department
sa.bipoc@anu.edu.au 

BIPOC Department website 

ANU Indigenous Department
sa.indigenous@anu.edu.au

ANU Harmful Behaviours Tool  

ANU Counselling
(02) 6125 2442

1800 RESPECT
1800 737 732

ANU Women’s Department
sa.womens@anu.edu.au 

ANU Queer* Department
sa.queer@anu.edu.au 

Student Safety and Wellbeing Team
+61 2 6125 2211