Totally Tubular: The Comedy of Errors puts on a radical performance

The return of student theatre in semester two was headlined by ShakeSoc’s The Comedy of Errors with a radical 80s twist. For first-time director Jessica Luff, choosing one of the Bard’s shortest works and, indeed, a comedy proved an incredibly smart choice.

The Comedy of Errors centres on the mistaken identity of not only two twin brothers separated in a shipwreck but also identical enslaved twin brothers. Following a series of unfortunate misunderstandings, including not recognising your own wife, falling in love with her sister and being arrested for stealing a gold chain, chaos in the town ensues. In the end, the pairs finally reunite, uncovering the truth behind the shipwreck that tore the family apart.

With the closure of Kambri Theatre for the remainder of the year, ShakeSoc decided to stage their production at the Canberra Theatre Centre’s Courtyard Theatre. The intimate, sparse theatre allowed for vast creative liberty, featuring well-tiered seating and extensive sound and lighting rigging, aspects generally lacking in the Kambri theatre from our experience. However, we assume that the lack of a backstage would have been troublesome for the cast and crew — although Luff’s clever direction ensured no unnecessary crossing of the stage — so we wonder how this might play out for larger productions scheduled for the Courtyard.

The Comedy of Errors is a more accessible script, meaning that for audiences who are less well-versed in Shakespeare, minor gaps in understanding were bridged by a relatively straightforward plot coupled with Luff’s extraction of every potential physical comedy element. Re-contextualisation in the 80s proved a fun choice, with distinct nods to the decade throughout the play. However, the difficulty with the re-contextualisation of Shakespeare is the extent to which you alter the script to truly commit to the time period. Here, it felt like a slight gimmick to draw in audiences, and we would have loved to see further commitment beyond the music and costuming. Overall, you can see that Luff thought through every single scene in detail, which was particularly highlighted in the cafe date-style scene, which was both well-directed and comedic. All the characters were well-utilised with clear background directing when individuals did not have lines, whilst similarly not saturating the scene with unnecessary bodies on stage. There was a slight slump in the second act, possibly due to many original ideas used in the first half. However, Luff should be applauded as continuous laughter from the audience proved their enjoyment throughout.

As an ensemble, this cast appeared to genuinely enjoy being together on stage. Our biggest stand-out from this production came from the pairing of Oscar Mikic as Antipholus of Syracuse and Ava Ferrari as Dromio of Syracuse. Both remained intensely committed to the slapstick nature of the show, acting larger-than-life at every opportunity. This dynamic was further enhanced by the chemistry between the two, something lacking in their twin counterparts. Ferrari’s ability to change accents ranging from American to Spanish showed an impressive range, with a further comedic moment occurring with dance moves timed to the door-knocking sound cues.

Although rarely appearing together, Ferrari and Julia Wedgewood-Oppenheim were an unbelievably funny twin pairing. Each mirrored the mannerisms and energy of one another, making clear that despite not looking identical, they came across as convincing brothers. While many of the characters relied on physical slapstick comedy, refreshing characterisation came from the sisters Eloise Bisley and Ella Buckley played. Both portrayed the depth of their characters, reacting well to the chaos as it ensued.

The lighting design by Steph Evans remained consistent, with particular highlights occurring with colour changing to red where Satan was mentioned and outbursts of anger arose. However, whilst sufficient, potentially greater variety throughout — especially considering the extensive rigging of the theatre — would have enhanced the production and its 80s charm. Similarly, Tom Lyle’s sound design absolutely served a clear purpose. Well-timed knocking and cartoonish-boingy throwing effects added comedy, amplifying the already slapstick scenes. A crowd-pleasing aspect of this show came from the transition music featuring 80s bops, which had the audience singing along.

Whilst there were very few major set changes, the inclusion of the popular transition music allowed for slightly slower resets without much notice. Further, the team’s commitment to the 80s theme with their period outfits and similar enthusiasm for the music added to the genuine enjoyment and camaraderie of this production.

What most illustrated the time period was the costuming, with shoulder pads, an ET graphic t-shirt, and a fluoro pink skin-tight leotard, which were just some of the nods to the iconic decade. Through innovative colour-blocking, the pairings of twins were made clear, with other characters similarly assigned their own unique aesthetic that showcased their characters’ personalities.

Turning now to the set, when we walked into the theatre, we were immediately met with the familiar comic stylings of the classic 80s music video for Take-On-Me by A-ha. Three white sheets adorned with beautifully hand-drawn locations created by Rose Kenyon and Jeremia Kim covered each third of the stage. Whilst very well designed, the location choices for the differing areas could have better mirrored the settings of the play as it unfolded, with the possibility of a police station making more sense than a dollar store.

Further, props created by Sophie Chiew were another clear nod to the decade. Attention to detail didn’t go unnoticed; small items such as a teen magazine from the 80s and small beanie babies certainly reinforced Luff’s directorial vision.

Overall, this cast and crew should be applauded for putting on a show that screamed, ‘Don’t you forget about me.’ With one final show in ShakeSoc’s 2024 season, we look forward to their upcoming production of As You Like It.